A Walk in the Park Blog Background Version 2

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Farewell Food Pyramid, Long Live MyPlate

USDA Logo
United States Department of Agriculture


On June 2, 2011 the USDA officially retired the Food Pyramid (its been around since 1982 - doesn't it seem longer than that?) in favor of MyPlate.


This is the icon for MyPlate which replaced MyPyramid in June 2011. The new MyPlate icon is composed of a plate divided into 4 sections: fruits, vegetables, grains, and protein. A dairy section is off the plate to the side. The MyPlate graphic is positioned on a placemat with the website ChooseMyPlate.gov written underneath. The 5 sections of MyPlate are clickable and go to food group subpages.


Balancing Calories
● Enjoy your food, but eat less.
● Avoid oversized portions.


Foods to Increase
● Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
● Make at least half your grains whole grains.
● Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.


Foods to Reduce
● Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals ― and choose the foods with lower numbers.
● Drink water instead of sugary drinks.



PointsPlusI guess this explains Weight Watchers newest program, PointsPlus, where fruits and veggies are free.

My cousin Debbie Sue has lost over 61 pounds on Weight Watchers and looks great.  We went together to WW meetings years ago and I lost over 30 pounds but found them again.  I also tried NutriSystems, lost over 30 pounds on that one too and found them again.


I've been toying with the idea of joining the Weight Watchers Online plan but I'm a little worried that I won't be able to afford the foods that I will need to eat.  Okay, that's a cop-out... I am on a fixed income but the real reason is that I don't want to cook - I hate cooking (and the cleanup).


The costs to join Weight Watchers online include a one time Sign-Up Fee of $29.95 and then a monthly fee of $18.95.

NOTE: Your subscription will be automatically renewed at the end of your payment plan at the standard monthly rate (currently $18.95) until you cancel.


I have to think about this some more.  Anyone have any suggestions?
Update: I joined Weight Watcher's Online Program on September 19, 2011.
Thanks,
Cheryl